Camouflaj, the maker of “meaningful games” such as the episodic series RÉPUBLIQUE, is looking for an exceptionally skilled Vehicle Artist to join our team and work on exciting new VR projects.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience in modelling, sculpting and texturing a diverse range of vehicles of all types (cars, trucks, helicopters, planes, military units, boats and sci-fi vehicles, et cetera). You have an ability to demonstrate individual vehicle design skills, from concept to creation, and your units are not carbon copies of existing vehicles. Your art still retains an essence and design feel of the specific real-world references and associated individual styling cues.
You will handle tracking of tasks and scope internally and externally. You will gather and validate status information and communication processes between vendors, publishers and IP holders. Your primary goal will be to ensure milestones are delivered predictably, with quality, and on time and on budget.
- Collaborate with designers, programmers, and animators to design and create realistic and believable vehicle models
- Assist in establishing best practices for vehicle pipeline process
- Comfortable with proxy modeling with basic vehicle mass shapes to test basic mechanics
- Handle critique and be willing to adapt models to hit the team’s unified vision
- Collaborate with other team artists in order to hit common milestones on time
- Comprehensive modelling and texturing portfolio showing a varied range of 3D vehicle art completed to a very high standard
- Extensive experience using 3DStudio Max (preferred) or Maya for modelling, and Substance Designer and Painter for texturing
- A keen understanding and appreciation of structure and construction/silhouette in respect of modelling – resolution of assets relative to world scale and exceptional mesh topology skills
- Obsession for detail in creating and manipulating texture maps in a PBR Metallic workflow – Albedo, Normal, AO, Metallic, Roughness maps, and excellent understanding of the value of maximizing UV space
- A full understanding of all current generation production workflows, as they pertain to vehicle art asset production
- A critical awareness of the expense/cost of a game asset relative to the target engine/rendering requirements – poly counts and texture sizes.
- Skilled at feeding back on task progress to Leads and line managers
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other team disciplines (code, design, animation, tools)
- Shipped at least one current-generation console titles as a production artist, or have deep experience in the vehicle modding scene
- Knowledge and understanding of a PBR based shader workflow
- Experience with Substance Designer and Painter in development pipeline
- Strong traditional art foundations: including, but not limited to, observational drawing, photography and technical illustration
- Willingness to test and practically use new workflow tools, both internal and 3rd party
- A desire to implement new techniques that increase art quality and efficiency across disciplines
- Experience developing games using Unity as a base engine
- Knowledge of Atlassian suite of products
- VR development experience
Camouflaj is a small and dynamic team. Each member holds a high degree of freedom and responsibility. Your tasks will be broad and you will be challenged to learn new systems. You won’t be alone, however – we are a close-knit team that wants each other to succeed.
Send your resume, cover letter, and any supporting materials to [email protected] Good luck!